Most of us who've purchased a beautiful new leather wallet want it to last for as long as possible and look as good, or better - as it did on the day we've received it. We would like to give you a few tips on how you can get the most out of your new leather wallet, or any of our fine DiLoro leather products.
Not all Leather is Created Equal!
In our previous blog "Full Grain Leather vs Genuine Leather" we covered the different grades (quality) and layers of leather. Going forward we trust that you made the best decision and went ahead and purchased a top quality, Full Grain Leather Wallet, anything of lesser quality will probably not be worth the efforts of caring for it - sorry to be so blunt but it is true.
Why should I care for my leather wallet?
- a well maintained full grain leather wallet can last you for decades
- you save money by not having to buy a new wallet all the time
- minimize waste and help protect the environment
- leather is a natural product and therefor bio-degradable
- you feel better pulling out a beautifully cared for leather wallet
Tip # 1 Avoid Overstuffing your Wallet
One of the worst mistakes you can make is overstuffing your wallet. By doing so you are stretching out the leather grain, a process that can not be reversed.
You noticed how tide the card slots were when you first got your new wallet, that's how the leather will stay if you don't overstuff it. Your full grain leather wallet will also keep its original, elegant, flat shape and it will not look like an overstuffed turkey. This is the foremost rule to follow so please don't make the mistake of keeping expired coupons, old receipts and every possible membership card in your wallet. Tidy up your wallet every two weeks and only keep the essentials.
Tip #2 Please Don't Sit on Your Wallet
We all like to keep our wallet in our back pocket, that's fine as long as you remember these two important points:
- have a button or zipper to close the pocket (theft prevention)
- and please take it out before you sit down
Not only is it uncomfortable for you to sit on your wallet it is also not healthy for your body and your wallet. The extra pressure of your weight sitting on your wallet adds enormous stress to the leather, the seams as well as your credit cards and ID's. Do yourself and your wallet a favor, don't sit on it!
Tip # 3 Use the Correct Cleaning Products
Leather, just like our skin is a natural product that needs attention if you want it to last as long as possible and look as good as new - or better.
Here are the three most harmful elements that could cause damage to your leather wallet:
- Dirt, Dust and Moisture (too much or not enough)
Cleaning your Leather Wallet:
- Dirt/Dust: your wallet will most likely become dirty from daily use, it is recommended that you clean it with a damp cloth as soon as you notice some dirt or stains. If the dirt or stain has already set in, use a good leather cleaner to remove it. A good leather cleaner or conditioner will only remove the stain and not the deye. DO NOT use soap or detergents as they may affect the deye or treatment of the leather.
- Moisture/Water: your leather wallet may get wet if you are caught in a downpour of rain or accidentally pour water on it. Here is the proper way to dry your leather wallet:
- Gently wipe the surface clean with a dry, clean cloth and allow it to dry at room temperature. Keep your wallet closed (bifold), don't leave it open or it will not lay flat anymore when folded.
- To keep the original shape of your leather wallet insert a credit card on each side of the billfold, do this only after you let the wallet dry for about an hour.
- DO NOT use a blow dryer or expose your wallet to extreme heat since that will cause the leather to become wrinkled.
- Not enough Moisture: you'll know that your wallet is too dry if you start seeing a few cracks. Like your own skin, leather requires some moisture to keep it smooth and soft. Here is what you do:
- Gently apply a leather cream or leather moisturizer to your wallet. DiLoro will offer its own brand in the near future but for now use an all-natural product especially for vegetable tanned leathers. Go easy and only apply a small amount, you can always add more later if you feel that your wallet is still dry.
- DO NOT let your wallet get super dried out before applying any moisturizer as mentioned above. It is a good habit to clean and moisturize your wallet regularly, get into the habit of it as soon as you receive your new leather wallet - and keep it un-cluttered.
DiLoro believes that your leather wallet is an important part of your wardrobe and that a well taken-care-of wallet can greatly enhance your overall appearance. Just like a nice pair of shoes, your wallet makes a statement about you. Consider how many times a day you use your wallet to pay, we want to make sure you look great doing so and we hope that these tips have been helpful.
Leave a comment